LUV (Lightweight Utility Vehicles)
LUV’S must be registered. Pilot Program has been extended.
All operators at least age 12 and born on or after Jan. 1, 1988 must complete an ATV Safety Certification course in order to operate on public ATV Trails and areas in Wisconsin. Check State All-Terrain Vehicle Regulations for more information.
All Terrain Vehicles (ATV) Trail Pass
Wisconsin law requires those who use Wisconsin ATV trails to display either Wisconsin registration or an ATV trail pass. Funds from this program will be designated for use as trail aids and related costs to enhance all Wisconsin ATV recreation. The trail pass may be purchased over the counter at many authorized sales locations throughout Birchwood, WI.
The $35.00 non-resident ATV trail use pass is valid from July 1st through June 30th.
An ATV trail pass is required to operate an ATV. The trail pass must be permanently affixed by its own adhesive in a highly visible location on the forward half of the ATV. Once affixed, the sticker may not be removed or transferred to another ATV.
When used safely and wisely an all terrain vehicle (ATV) can provide a source of fun and family recreation. When used unwisely by an untrained, inexperienced operator, an all terrain vehicle can be very, very dangerous. With safety in mind, an all terrain vehicle can be a useful tool for work and a great means of exploring the outdoors.
It is the responsibility of all ATV operators to make the sport a safe one. Take an ATV Safety course.
Children under the age of 18 a helmet is required to be worn at all times for riding on areas open to the public.
Exhaust and Noise Restrictions
Your ATV must be equipped with a functioning muffler to prevent unusual or excessive noise. No person may manufacture, sell, rent or operate an ATV in such a manner that noise emitted from the ATV is louder than 96 decibels when measured on the “A” scale when measured in the manner prescribed in the reaffirmed 1998-07, Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1287, entitled Measurement of Exhaust Sound Levels of Stationary Motorcycles.
No one shall deny or refuse an inspection or testing of an ATV by an Law Enforcement officer who reasonably suspects a violation of an equipment requirement.
Your ATV must be equipped with a spark arrester at all times, even during the winter.
Excessive or unusually loud ATV’s are illegal and hurt Wisconsin’s trail system. Do not increase your exhaust noise or operate with your exhaust system in excess of normal operation. Excessive noise threatens riding opportunities statewide.
ATV Operators Code of Ethics
- I will be an ethical rider. I recognize that people judge all ATV owners by my actions. I will use my influence with other ATV owners to promote exemplary conduct.
- I will not litter trails or camping areas. I will not pollute streams or lakes.
- I will not damage living trees, shrubs or other natural features.
- I will respect other people’s property and rights.
- I will lend a helping hand when I see someone in distress.
- I will make myself and my ATV available to assist with search and rescue.
- I will not interfere with or harass hikers, skiers, bicyclist, ice fisherman or other sports people. I will respect their rights to enjoy our recreation facilities.
- I will know and obey all federal, state and local rules regulating the operation of ATV’s.
- I will not harass wildlife. I will avoid areas not posted for ATV use.
- I will not ride off the trails or marked roads open to ATV’s. I will avoid cross-country travel unless specifically authorized.
ATV Crimes and Fines
Operate ATV without valid registration $186.00
Operate ATV without headgear (under 18) $135.60
Operate ATV while intoxicated (first offense) $438.50
Operate, sell, rent or manufacture ATV exceeding the 96 decibel noise limit $160.80
Interfere with signs and standards $312.00
Operate on road not open $186.00
Operate ATV on ATV trail without trail pass $154.50
Operating an ATV in a careless manner $186.00
Washburn County ATV Crimes
Operating off designated trail $200.00 – $500.00
Operating off trail in wetland or riparian $200.00 – $1,000.00
ATV regulations and information for County Forestry
- Washburn County Forestry
- Sawyer County Forestry
- Rusk County Forestry
- Barron County Forestry
- Village of Birchwood
- Wisconsin Department of Tourism
- Tuscobia Trail
Seasonal Power Toys, Berry Rd., Ed’s Pit Stop, Bairs Edgewater Store, Spider Lake Saloon, Papa Pete’s, Featherstone RV Park, Long Lake Dam